Read on for more health benefits and ways to use clary sage oil below!
Benefits of Clary Sage Oil
Regular sage oil (Salvia officinalis) and clary sage oil possess similar therapeutic properties, but the former is often associated with adverse reactions. Aromatherapists prefer clary sage oil, and consider it safer.
Clary sage essential oil can help fight bacteria that may thrive in your digestive system, urinary tract, and excretory system. It exhibits moderate antibacterial activity against various strains of bacteria like the Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella, and Proteus mirabilis species,6 and potent antifungal activity against strains of Candida,7 Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Fusarium species.8
This essential oil can be particularly helpful for women because of its hormone-like components. In Europe, clary sage oil is employed to ease menopausal discomfort, menstrual pain, and regulate menstrual cycles. Due to its esters, it can help relax muscular spasms and pains that may arise from stress and nervous tension.9
The oil from the clary sage plant can also provide the following benefits to your health:
- Helps treat symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome
- Regulates blood pressure
- Relaxes the bronchial tubes of asthma sufferers
- Helps treat respiratory ailments like colds, bronchitis, and sore throat
- Supports healthy digestion
- Addresses acne and oil skin
- Reduces inflammation and certain types of dermatitis
- Improves memory and stimulates mental activity
How to Make Clary Sage Oil
To produce the essential oil, clary sage herbs undergo steam distillation, and this process yields a colorless or pale yellowish-green oil, with a sweet, nutty, and balsamic aroma. The composition of the oil may differ depending on what species of Salvia is used for the extraction.
How Does Clary Sage Oil Work?
Clary sage oil can be used topically and inhaled. It can also be ingested, as the US Food and Drug Administration classifies it as generally safe for human consumption (GRAS) and approves it as an additive for foods.10 Below are some specific ways to enjoy clary sage oil benefits:
- To soothe eye problems, soak a clean cloth in a mixture of warm water and a few drops of clary sage oil. Afterward, press over both eyes for 10 minutes.
- Relieve anxiety and emotional tension by inhaling clary sage oil. Add a few drops to diffusers and burners.
- Use the oil as a massage oil and rub on painful areas. This can also be used on women suffering from menstrual pains.
- Add a few drops to your bath water to address pain and stress.
- Apply topically as a moisturizer to regulate the production of sebum on your skin.